Italian superbrand Fendi has moved into its new headquarters at Rome’s Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana – a building commissioned by dictator Benito Mussolini in 1943 that has been renovated by local architect Marco Costanzi. Designed by architects Giovanni Guerrini, Ernesto Bruno La Padula and Mario Romano, the six-storey Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana was intended to be the centrepiece of Mussolini’s new Roman empire, but was abandoned due to his involvement in the second world war. The building was left in a state of disrepair, being used only briefly by a state labour institute before Fendi’s 18-month renovation – which has reportedly cost millions. The project has been led by Costanzi, who previously designed Fendi’s Rome showroom. Around the base of the building, 28 statues representing various industries and trades are tucked underneath individual arches. Inside, the original marble stairways and floors were well preserved and remain in place, but the building has been fully fitted out to house Fendi’s 450 employees. The ground floor will become a permanent free-entry gallery space, allowing the general public entrance to the building for the first time in its history. The move coincides with the fashion house’s 90th anniversary, as well as German fashion designer and Chanel creative director Karl Lagerfeld’s 50th year with the company.